Next up on creating armv7 MACHINE_ARCH: pre FCP stage

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Thu Jun 15 20:16:03 UTC 2017

On 2017-Jun-15, at 9:58 AM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> On 2017-Jun-15, at 8:40 AM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:
>

>> On 2017-Jun-15, at 5:51 AM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:

>>> On both your linux you are using linux-sunxi which is a fork of the
>>> Allwinner kernel "maintained" by the sunxi community (and it is old).
>>> To have the proper values of uname one should test running linux
>>> vanilla kernel.
>>
>> They both reported (extracted from the earlier text
>> that I sent):
>>
>> 3.4.39-BPI-M3-Kernel
>> 3.4.39-BPI-M3-Kernel
>>
>> It is the same kernel version from the same group
>> for the same hardware context as far as what each
>> reported.
>>
>> While they may have varied the kernel for some
>> reason without changing the version identification
>> that is not want I would expect.
>>
>> I expected it was the Ubuntu vs. Gentoo code that
>> makes the difference, not the kernel.
>>
>> I'm not aware of a modern vanilla kernel for the
>> BPI-M3.
>>
>> From what I can tell for little armv7 boards like
>> this having older kernels is a common case and
>> is something ports code would normally deal with
>> upstream. It is not just sunxi as I understand.
>>
>> I may do more experiments and report those too.
>> My notes are just information for Warner and others
>> to consider.
>
> An FYI:
>
> I tried the following on both kernel7.img files
> (this was via macOS):
>
> $ strings /Volumes/BPI-BOOT/kernel7.img | grep -i sun8i | more
>
> $ strings /Volumes/BPI-BOOT/kernel7.img | grep -i armv7 | more
>
> Both came up empty. The strings reported by uname -p -m -i
> do not seem to be directly from the kernels.

and SI_ARCHITECTURE and SI_PLATFORM are
defined, it uses struct utsname's machine
member for all 3 of -m -p -i . This matches
what Ubuntu Mate reported (all 3 matching).

(I've not looked at Gentoo source yet.)

Supporting details. . .

The following is uname.c source from:

Get:1 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports xenial/main coreutils 8.25-2ubuntu2 (dsc) [2,071 B]
Get:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports xenial/main coreutils 8.25-2ubuntu2 (tar) [5,725 kB]
Get:3 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports xenial/main coreutils 8.25-2ubuntu2 (diff) [28.0 kB]

Ubuntu's source for uname.c has:

  if (toprint
       & (PRINT_KERNEL_NAME | PRINT_NODENAME | PRINT_KERNEL_RELEASE
          | PRINT_KERNEL_VERSION | PRINT_MACHINE))
    {
      struct utsname name;      struct utsname name;
. . .
      if (uname (&name) == -1)
        error (EXIT_FAILURE, errno, _("cannot get system name"));      if (toprint & PRINT_MACHINE)
        print_element (name.machine);
 . . .

and later has:

  if (toprint & PRINT_PROCESSOR)
    {
      char *element = unknown;
#if HAVE_SYSINFO && defined SI_ARCHITECTURE
 . . .
#else
      {
        struct utsname u;
        uname(&u);
        element = u.machine;
. . .
      }
#endif
#ifdef UNAME_PROCESSOR
      if (element == unknown)
         {
. . .

So it appears that -m and -p are
explicitly returning the same text
(No SI_ARCHITECTURE).

Similarly for even later:

  if (toprint & PRINT_HARDWARE_PLATFORM)
    {
      char *element = unknown;
#if HAVE_SYSINFO && defined SI_PLATFORM
. . .
#else
      {
        struct utsname u;
        uname(&u);
        element = u.machine;
        if(strlen(element)==4 && element[0]=='i' && element[2]=='8' && element[3
]=='6')
                element[1]='3';
      }
#endif