Problems with pkg, svnlite and svn on both 12.0 BBB snapshots of June 2017

Dr. Rolf Jansen rj at obsigna.com
Thu Jun 15 18:51:12 UTC 2017

I subsequently deployed the June snapshots of FreeBSD 12.0 on my Beaglebone Black, and in both cases I experience problems with pkg, svnlite and with svn from the ports.

# pkg -v
--> Shared object "libarchive.so.6" not found, required by "pkg"

I can get pkg working, after I do:
# ln -s /usr/lib/libarchive.so.7 /usr/lib/libarchive.so.6

Any flavor of subversion is completely unusable now, I see various errors in different situations:

One of either:
   svn: E175003: Attempt to fetch capability 'depth' resulted in 'no'

or:
   svn: E000022: Error converting entry in directory '/root/install/my_tiny_project' to UTF-8
   svn: E000022: Valid UTF-8 data
   (hex: 18 10)
   followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
   (hex: e5 20 18 30)

The working directories are not damaged, because I observe normal svn operation on the very same ones, when I open those with svn on a 12.0 snapshot from May 2017.

Anyway, before I submit a burg report, I would like to ask whether I am the only one, experiencing those problems, or if others see these as well. May this be related to a broken SD card?

Please can someone confirm that pkg and svnlite are working (or even not) on the out-of-the-box snapshot FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-BEAGLEBONE-20170612-r319859.

Many thanks and best regards

Rolf