Creating bootable vm disk

Balaji Palaniswami heisenbug.bala at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 06:57:58 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I followed this https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/crossbuild.
 buildworld, buildkernel, distribution, installkernel (TARGET=arm and arch=
 armv6)  went fine. I have compiled stuff at /home/username/nfsroot. Instead
 of writing into sdcard or USB, i want to create bootable vm disk to boot in
 bhyve. To create i tried mkimg

 sudo mkimg -s gpt -b nfsroot/boot/mbr  -p
 freebsd-boot:=nfsroot/boot/gptboot -p freebsd-ufs:=root-file-system.ufs  -p
 freebsd-swap::1G -o fbsd-2.img

 Here i created root filesystem using makefs which provided the
 rootfilesystem.ufs. Then i verified those contents by mounting  which looks
 as it is in /nfsroot. But mkimg did not create boot partition properly.
 Because when i tried to mount those partition it threw I/O error and when i
 was trying to boot using beehive it says "kernel not found".

Is there any script or list of commands to accomplish this task ?

Thanks,
Balaji