11.0-RC1 unsupported by ports?

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Wed Jan 25 10:39:29 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:52:10AM +0200, Daniel Braniss wrote:

> > On 25 Jan 2017, at 10:47, Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> >> Hi!

> >> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/ lists the supported releases.
> >> There are no release candidates listed.

> >> What's stopping you from upgrading to -REL ?
> >
> > Buildworld on a raspberry isn't fun - if it works at all.
> > Even if you crossbuild and just copy the binaries, the wear of
> > MicroSD cards isn't something you want to test unless you really
> > have to.
>
> most of the time this works for me:
> 	mount host:/export-to-rpi/local /usr/local
> 	echo ???WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp??? >> /etc/make.conf
> 	mount via nfs /var/tmp, i.e.
> 		mount host:/export-to-rpi/tmp  /var/tmp
> 	also add swap via nfs:
> 		mount host:/export-to-rpi/swap /mnt-swap
> 		swapon /mnt-swap

This has nothing to do with updating the OS itself.

That said, I assume host:/export-to-rpi/local is only used by a
single host.
It gets tricky with shared /usr/local, since the package registration
is in a different path and ports/packages may also touch /etc - e.g.
/etc/shells, or add service users for a specific software.
It is possible to do, but unless you are very carefull things can
easily get messy.
Same goes for /tmp.
Needless to say that swap isn't to be shared at all...
But I'm not sure if swap on NFS is completely deadlock free.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de