Durable/serious arm hardware ?

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Jan 23 07:07:39 UTC 2017

We have a little two port router based on the same SoC as the BBB.  I
selected that platform as one of the better supported platforms on
FreeBSD.  It still took a lot of (months of) work to make the freebsd (and
subsequently pfSense) for it into something that could be a "product".  All
the FreeBSD work is in the tree.  Most vendors don't do that. That's not a
humble brag, it's a statement of truth.

We're currently in discussions with a vendor to get the Ethernet driver for
our next ARM product, since, ..., it's not in the tree.

The SoC vendors all have Linux on the brain.  They see a much larger market
there. Convincing them to dedicate resources to FreeBSD can be challenging.
One of the things we've been able to do with pfSense is to show real volume
for a FreeBSD based application.  I can go to a SoC vendor (TI, Marvell,
etc) and talk about committing to, say, N x 10K+ unit volumes.  That tends
to help get their attention. The Foundation helps a lot here, too, which is
why I won't take "donations" for pfsense and instead direct people to
donate to the FreeBSD Foundation.

In closing, the board you name are all "developer / hobbyist" boards, and
may not have the level of engineering in them that it takes to make into a
product.  At least two of them are price-supported, where a non-profit gets
some portion of the BoM discounted, which makes for a very low-price board,
but also brings some short-cutting (try to get a warranty claim on a BBB or
RPi).

Jim