can SMP work on rpi3?

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Wed Jan 4 18:35:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 06:31:22PM +0000, tech-lists wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> (I'm running -current as of r311005)
>
> I compiled a GENERIC kernel instead of GENERIC-UP (which is the default
> if raspberrypi3 is selected in crochet). It runs OK but the console gets
> this all the time:
>
> cpufreq0: rejecting change, SMP not started yet
>
> over and over again.
>
> So, my question is, can I make SMP work on rpi3? Alternatively, can I
> quiet the console?
>
> I guess I can always recompile another kernel if SMP for rpi3 isn't here
> yet.

You'll need a custom u-boot.bin and armstub8.bin. Take a look at this
modification I made to HardenedBSD's version of crochet:

https://github.com/HardenedBSD/crochet/commit/a4e27c377e43a5a9e6bcbbce10f59afdab81894d

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer

GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE