aarch64 on pi3 advice

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Tue Jan 3 01:03:28 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 11:07:49 -0800
Tim Kientzle <tim at kientzle.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 2, 2017, at 3:54 AM, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:

> > 1. Can I mount /usr/ports on say a usb stick, compile from there and
> > expect it to install OK? /usr/ports would be a symlink to
> > /32GB-usbkey/ports. I see that ld & ldd are present, so I guess I
> > can compile from ports?
>
> Compiling from ports directly on the board should always work.
> If you're familiar with building ports on other FreeBSD systems,
> this is probably the easiest approach.

I am not able to compile and link any programs on my Raspberry.
Compiling works but linking fails. This is a known problem. Linking on
a x86 machine results in an working binary if you have the patched
bin-utils.

> For some architectures, pre-built packages are available.
> I've not played with arm64 enough to be familiar with the
> situation there.
>
> > 2. I'd like to strip out WITNESS and friends and recompile the
> > kernel. Can I do this on the rpi3 and expect it to work?
>
> You should expect it to work.  Of course, arm64 support is very
> new, so there could be issues.

Compiling works on a x86 machine with the patched bin-utils.

> (At one point, I had a spare RPi where I did weekly
> native system builds and upgrades for almost a year.
> I was pleasantly surprised at how stable it was.)

The Raspberries are as robust as x86 machines.

Erich