Fatal kernel abort (was: r313878M builds mmcsd0s2 as read-only & /etc/fstab is missing)

Tony Hain tony at tndh.net
Wed Feb 22 04:56:39 UTC 2017

Ian Lepore wrote:

> > I have tried both /dev/mmcsd0s2a and /dev/mmcsd0s2 in fstab, and both
> > are failing as read-only. They are not marked that way on the media
> > because I can mount and write files from the crochet system. My first
> > thought was that something in the boot sequence handing off the device
> > to FreeBSD as read-only, but when I try to mount the dos partition it
> > fails to mount and I end up with the kernel panic. When I mounted the
> > dos partition on the crochet system the only difference I can see
> > between the running BBB and the dos sector in the BBG card is that the
> > file names are upper case on the working one and lower case on the
> > failing one. Given that the kernel boots, the name case is unlikely to
> > affect the mounting of the second partition as read-only.
> >
> > Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
>
> I don't use crochet, hardly know anything about it.  But I know a lot of
people
> do use it, so it seems like if it were really creating broken unusable
images,
> other people would have something to say about that.

That was my first thought, but buildworld has only been completing about 1/3
of the time, so I wasn't sure if something in the base build changed an
assumption that crochet was making. It turns out the reason loader.conf and
fstab were missing on my 12.0 builds was that when I changed from 11 to 12 I
exceeded the disk capacity of the build system, so I moved some things off
to nfs mounts. The crochet scripts were mounted, but all the work space was
local. In any case I had not been watching the builds so I never saw the
cpio errors that scrolled off the console of the vm. When I ran it over ssh
I could scroll back and see 'cannot expand over softlink' errors. There was
no "link" anywhere and all the workspace was local, but something about the
nfs mount of the script itself fails. I changed the cpio lines to use rsync
since it was installed on that system, and the builds are completing
correctly with all the files. Unfortunately they still fail to boot and drop
into single user because / mounts readonly.

Tony