crochet rpi2 boot won't play nice for me...

Ross Alexander rwa at athabascau.ca
Sat Dec 30 07:08:54 UTC 2017

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Mark Millard wrote:

> [... :rwa:]

> Hmm. There is a bootcode.bin but these days it is from
> sysutils/rpi-firmware instead of from
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi2 :
>
> # ls /usr/local/share/rpi-firmware/
> LICENCE.broadcom config.txt fixup_cd.dat fixup_x.dat start_cd.elf start_x.elf
> bootcode.bin fixup.dat fixup_db.dat start.elf start_db.elf
>
> # ls /usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-rpi2/
> README u-boot.bin

Oh, nice catch.  I've twisted up a copy of sysutils/rpi-firmware.
Copying that stuff into what crochet built on da0s1 got me to a boot
prompt, as thus:

     U-Boot 2017.09 (Dec 26 2017 - 11:11:20 -0700)

     DRAM:  948 MiB
     RPI 2 Model B (0xa21041)
     MMC:   sdhci at 7e300000: 0
     reading uboot.env

     ** Unable to read "uboot.env" from mmc0:1 **

This can't be good ...

     Using default environment

     In:    serial
     Out:   vidconsole
     Err:   vidconsole
     Net:   No ethernet found.
     starting USB...
     USB0:   Core Release: 2.80a
     scanning bus 0 for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
           scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
     Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
     switch to partitions #0, OK
     mmc0 is current device
     Scanning mmc 0:1...
     Found FreeBSD U-Boot Loader (bin)
     reading ubldr.bin
     232980 bytes read in 31 ms (7.2 MiB/s)
     ## Starting application at 0x01000000 ...
     Consoles: U-Boot console
     Compatible U-Boot API signature found @0x3af5d988

     FreeBSD/armv6 U-Boot loader, Revision 1.2
     (Fri Dec 29 02:27:06 MST 2017 toor at augur2.bogons)

     DRAM: 948MB
     Number of U-Boot devices: 1
     U-Boot env: loaderdev not set, will probe all devices.
     Found U-Boot device: disk
       Probing all disk devices...
       Checking unit=0 slice=<auto> partition=<auto>... good.
     Booting from disk0:

     can't load 'kernel'

     Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
     loader>

which is great, now all I have to do is remember the syntax for
the boot path.  lsdev shows

     loader> lsdev
     disk devices:
            disk0 (MMC)
            disk0s1: DOS/Windows
            disk0s2: FreeBSD
            disk0s2a: FreeBSD UFS
     net devices:
            net0:

A naive "boot -s disk02a:/boot/kernel/kernel" doesn't work, and
ls isn't implemented.  Nothing I can think of is a good path.
Mounting the mmscd on the devel box shows:

     augur2:/root # mount -o ro /dev/da0s2a /mnt0
     augur2:/root # ls -l /mnt0/boot/kernel/kernel
     -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10649356 Dec 29 02:27 /mnt0/boot/kernel/kernel

     augur2:/root # file /mnt0/boot/kernel/kernel
     /mnt0/boot/kernel/kernel: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 \
     (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, interpreter /red/herring, for FreeBSD 12.0 \
     (1200054), not stripped

Anyway I'm downloading an image from ftp.freebsd.org and will see
what I can learn from inspecting it.  I'm surprised that crochet
has lost track of the pi2, though.  Lots of them still out there.

regards,
Ross

Ross Alexander, (780) 675-6823 desk / (780) 689-0749 cell, rwa at athabascau.ca

        It is not of the essence of mathematics to be conversant with
        the ideas of number and quantity.
                        -- George Boole
--
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communications received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.
---