Disapearing pl2303 usb serial adapter on rpi2

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Fri Dec 22 04:17:00 UTC 2017

Hi Hans,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 05:29:05PM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 12/21/17 17:11, bob prohaska wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You might want to run "usbdump" with the appropriate arguments to
> capture all USB traffic during such a cycle.

I'll try it next time the pl2303 locks up.

> Further, you might want to only enable USB HUB debug messages to figure
> out why the USB stack thinks the device is going away:
>
> sysctl hw.usb.uhub.debug=17

I've turned that on, and the console is spitting out a lot of output.
It'll make quite a haystack in which to find a needle 8-) Any hint
what to look for?

>  From what I know, the RPI series of cards have a small external USB HUB
> on the board. All USB traffic goes through this High-Speed HUB. When you
> are using LOW and FULL speed, all traffic is translated from High-Speed
> USB into LOW and FULL speed USB.

Would changing the baudrate have any effect? A console certainly needn't
run at 115200 baud. For present purposes 9600 or less is plenty.
> I don't rule out some kind of "bug" in this external piece of hardware.

Many have said pl2303 devices are unreliable, but they seem well-behaved
on a Mac and on an RPI3 running Raspbian. Whatever is wrong, it seems not
deterministic, but cumulative, with a touch of random.

> You might also try to set (my wild guess):
> sysctl hw.usb.no_cs_fail=1

Not sure I understand what this does; is there a description somewhere?

> Like already mentioned in this thread, the micro USB power input
> connecter on the RPI is not supposed to handle more than 500mA,
> regardless of how strong your power supply is. Then you need to subtract
> the mA's used by the CPU and other chips like ethernet. I wouldn't be
> surprised if ethernet functionality alone required 150mA at +5V.

Some time ago I put a voltmeter on the Pi and the voltage stayed over
five volts, but of course short spikes weren't visible in such a test.
On average, however, the connector seemed to handle the load.

> USB LOW/HIGH/FULL speed all use some kind of pull-UP or pull-DOWN on the

> data lines. This resistors are typically wired to +5V or GND (0V) on the
> board and transients in the voltage may be seen as a disconnect by the
> host or device.
>
> Regarding the DTB's. Make sure the USB data pins are correctly
> configured with regards to pullup/pulldown and not used as GPIOs.

Wouldn't that sort of error lead to things not working at all? The
problems observed develop after hours or sometimes days.

Many thanks for your guidance!

bob prohaska