How to use our stock armv7-RPI2 images with QEMU?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Dec 18 21:59:29 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at nsu.ru> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've noticed (per qemu-system-arm -machine help) that it claims to support
> Raspberry Pi 2 (raspi2), so I wanted to boot one of our stock armv7-RPI2
> images, but did not find recipe at https://wiki.freebsd.org/QemuRecipes,
> and my FreeBSD/arm knowledge is lacking.
>
> Basically I look for a fast way to setup arm6/7 VM to do some ports work.
>
> Could someone give me a hand here, and possibly update that wiki page?
> (It covers arm64, but not arm).  Thanks,

OK. The answer is "It's complicated" and I'm not sure anybody has actually
done it recently.

The following links may be useful. Sounds like the answer is you have to
figure out how much of the SoC qemu is actually doing, and then load u-boot
that's been hacked to omit the part of the initialization that causes
problems...

https://azeria-labs.com/emulate-raspberry-pi-with-qemu/
https://balau82.wordpress.com/2010/04/12/booting-linux-with-u-boot-on-qemu-arm/
https://www.hellion.org.uk/blog/posts/grub-on-uboot-on-qemu/
https://elinux.org/Virtual_Development_Board

I'm happy to help in anyway that I can, but I don't have the time to devote
to this today. I'm keen to know for both my nanobsd create qemu images for
every arch we support project, as well as my create qemu images for every
boot env we support to test src/stand project.

Warner