Bus Errors on Cubox i4pro with snapshot 20160127

Rob Mixer rob.mixer at ni.com
Sat Feb 6 02:05:13 UTC 2016

Hi!

Is there a known solution to bus errors associated with Snort and Suricata on Cubox i4pro?  I’ve seen it both the 20160121 and 20160127 snapshots of FreeBSD11-arm-armv6.

Under heavy I/O load, I keep getting bus errors (signal 10).  The I/O load occurs when I start Snort (pkg) or Suricata (from ports).  The bus error occurs within about 10 seconds of these applications starting to read from the ffec0 Gig-E interface.  It typically results in a core dump.  Occurs regardless of whether I have PF enabled or not.  Could this be a pcap issue?

I’ve also experienced this with pfctl -sa, but I see that there is a patch in the works for that.

BTW, I’ve been able to get up an running with FreeBSD 11 snapshots with a Cubox i4Pro with few issues.  So far, it’s a huge improvement over 10.2 on Cubox!

Rob