problems with tcsh, MACHTYPE on Raspberry Pi 3

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sun Dec 4 03:50:48 UTC 2016

Hi Mark,

you are a good observer. But this was just a typing error on my side. I
copied the output from two session into this e-mail at the end.

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 17:59:03 -0800
Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> On 2016-Dec-3, at 5:53 PM, Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist at
> alogt.com> wrote:
>
> > echo $MACHTYPE
> > unknown
> >
> > [erich at X220]~ > setenv MachTYpe "local machine type"
> > [erich at X220]~ > echo $MachType
>
> "Y" vs. "y" on the two lines above?

[erich at raspberry2]~ > setenv MachType "the local thing"
[erich at raspberry2]~ > echo $MachType

[erich at raspberry2]~ > ./doraspberryalo
unknown
the local thing
otto
changing directory
unknown
the local thing
otto
unknown
the local thing
otto
ALO development environment is set up for FreeBSD.
[erich at raspberry2]...Raspberry/ALO > exit
exit
unknown
the local thing
otto
[erich at raspberry2]~ > echo $MACHTYPE
arm64
[erich at raspberry2]~ > ./doraspberryalo
unknown
the local thing
otto
changing directory
unknown
the local thing
otto
unknown
the local thing
otto
ALO development environment is set up for FreeBSD.
[erich at raspberry2]...Raspberry/ALO > echo $MachType
the local thing
[erich at raspberry2]...Raspberry/ALO >

doraspberryalo is a script calling another script which finally sets up
the development environment matching the environment.

Here the same thing from an x86 machine:

[erich at X220]~ >  setenv MachType "local machine type"
[erich at X220]~ >  echo $MachType

[erich at X220]~ >  ./doraspberryalo
x86_64
local machine type
Otto
changing directory
x86_64
local machine type
Otto
x86_64
local machine type
Otto
ALO development environment is set up for FreeBSD.
[erich at X220]...Raspberry/ALO > echo $MachType
local machine type
[erich at X220]...Raspberry/ALO > echo $MACHTYPE
x86_64
[erich at X220]...Raspberry/ALO > exit
exit
x86_64
local machine type
Otto
[erich at X220]~ > echo $MachType

[erich at X220]~ > echo $MACHTYPE
otto

MACHTYPE was set to 'otto' just like another variable was set to 'Otto'.

I know that I cannot use certain names in the environment but I did not
see a note regarding 'MachType'.

Erich