Indication of Successful Build

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Thu Apr 7 07:10:05 UTC 2016

On 2016-Apr-6, at 11:44 PM, Boris Samorodov <bsam at passap.ru> wrote:

> 06.04.16 23:14, Russell Haley пишет:
>> Thanks for the input Mark.
>>
>> I'm currently looking into the cross build script on the developers
>
> Sees that you misunderstood Marks word "script". He uses SCRIPT(1)
> to save build script output to a log-file.

Boris is correct about what I was referring to. But I'm not sure if you misinterpreted me or not.

See https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?script(1) , which describes script via:

   The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal.

Having such a log file around after the build attempt allows reviewing for more than success vs. failure status. Even success can be reviewed for warnings.

>> wiki, as well as considering updating crochet to use the u-boot ports
>> and adding hummingboard to it. I'm going to take all these suggestions
>> and see what I can come up with. In my mind it wouldn't be hard to use
>> the return codes indicated by Boris to create a running log of make
>> results and copy successful outputs to a different directory. What
>> raises my concern is that I can't be the first person to ever come up
>> with this idea, so where are all the other attempts at this? In my
>> mind that means I'm either way ahead of the curve (not) or I am going
>> down the wrong path and there is something else to this I haven't
>> considered.
>
> I'd say that most developers have different purposes, plus it's not hard
> to create a shell script to automate the task. So everybody have some of
> them at their armoury. Here is mine (written once in a hurry, but used
> to be helpful and used often).
>
>> Anyway, I keep telling myself to get on with my own project, but there
>> is just so much fun stuff to play with down in the guts of FreeBSD! I
>> was just trying to get booting from NFS to work. lolz. Okay, down the
>> rabbit hole...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alice (Russ)
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:
>>> I use script to make a typescript/log file and keep the log file for as long as I care. So, for example, the script use in:

> --
> WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
> FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve
> <up.sh>