having trouble booting 10.2 and current on pi B+

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 21 17:58:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-10-21 at 13:42 -0400, laszlo vagner wrote:
> currently trying to boot pretty much any version of freebsd on my PI
> B+
> (not pi2)
>
> i successfully booted and ran rasbian fine so i know the hardware is
> working.
>
> got the current version from here
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/arm/armv6/ISO-IMAGES/11.0
> /FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20151016-r289420.img.xz
>

> uncompressed it using 7zip on a win7 x64 machine then used
> win32diskimager to write it to the micro sdcard.
>
> what i end up with is
> in: serial
> out: lcd
> err: lcd
> mbox: timeout waiting for response
> bcm2835: could not set USB power state
> Net: Net Initialization Skipped
> No ethernet found
> **unrecognized filesystem type**
> hit any key to stop auto boot: 0
> booting from: mmc 0 ubldr
> **unrecognized filesystem type**
> U-boot >
>

> tried this with the 10-2 version also same result.
> tried using both versions on 3 different sdcards same thing.
>

> i cannot get past this error as even the keyboard dont work.
>
> need some help.
>

> all of this worked fine on my pi2 B model (using current of course)
> but
> the pi B+ wont boot.
>
> George

This is a problem with the sd driver in the ancient version of u-boot
we've been using on rpi.  It works fine on some cards, fails on others.
 I found that the latest mainline u-boot now supports rpi well and
doesn't have this problem anymore, and we've just been waiting for the
u-boot project to make their final 2015.10 release, which they did
yesterday.  The updates to the u-boot-rpi port should be committed
today, and the next set of rpi images (later this week) should work
more reliably.

-- Ian