Hummingboard SATA

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Nov 18 22:50:13 UTC 2015

> On Nov 14, 2015, at 11:16 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Warner,
>
> I am looking over the CAM code and it's relationship with ahci. There are also bits of information about CAM around: a chapter in the Kong book, a chapter in the developers handbook.
>
> The file ahci.c, line 660 - ahci_ch_attach() - this seems to be where the magic happens to attach the ahci driver to the CAM system.  Specifically line 754 "cam_sim_alloc()”.

Yes. That creates the SIM. SIM used to mean SCSI Interface Module in the original CAM spec. Any more, it just means any device that can chat with devices attached via the appropriate transport.

The SIM has a number of busess connected to it. Each bus is a transport. A transport (xpt in the code) shuffles protocol messages from the periph devices using the SIM to send / receive them over the XPT.

When the SIM is instantiated, CAM automatically resets the bus and enumerates it, with the help of the SIM. For SCSI-like things, this is where ID scans are done, LUN scans, etc. For ATA, this is where ports are scanned, port expanders recognized, etc.

So as part of this scan, it is discovered that a SATA device exists on a given port, and an ada device is created.

> What I am not seeing is the relationship to the ata_da.c code.  I noticed that my drive wasn't listed in the ata_da.c,  ada_quirk_table. I don't know anything about quirks but imagine that this is an optional item?

Yes. The Quirk table is for those devices that lie to the system in some way and that lie needs to be sorted out through work arounds in the code.

> I think I am done reviewing the code for now and will move back to ddb and figure out how to examine the kernel checking for devices (read: no idea what I am doing). If anyone has any pointers on how to hook into the probe or attach methods using the debugger, or even any good scripts, I'd be grateful.

I usually just set breakpoints for the specific device I’m interested in, though device_probe_and_attach is also good.

Warner