BeagleBone slow inbound net I/O

Brett Wynkoop freebsd-arm at wynn.com
Sat Mar 14 03:25:12 UTC 2015

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 00:51:04 +0100
Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:18:34PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 23:26 -0400, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> > > Greeting-
> > >
> > > It is confirmed, the net I/O is much slower than reading from the
> > > SD card.  Here is another run of tar - pipe - tar, but this time
> > > the source is the sd card and the destination is still the USB
> > > zfs.
> > [...]
> > >

> > You're not actually testing network performance, you're testing a
> > confusing mashup of overall system performance.

Ian your point is well taken, but one can have a system where each part
works fine on it's own, but when working in concert there is a
breakdown.

I believe that is what I have observed.  Reading from sd card and
writing to usb was many times faster than reading from ethernet and
writing to usb.

I would say I am testing the case where the source of the
data is over the ethernet port and the destination is on the USB
Flash.  I will try grabbing data over the net and sending it
to /dev/null, but if we have trouble moving bits from ethernet to USB I
would say that is something that we might want to investigate.

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

Amendment VII

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed
twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no
fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of
the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.