BBB freebsd-current backtrace. why?

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Mar 11 14:29:16 UTC 2015

On Mar 11, 2015, at 12:09 AM, jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
> On 10 March 2015 at 19:05, Jason Birch <jbirch at jbirch.net> wrote:
>>
>> They're lock order reversals, as enabled by the WITNESS kernel option. You
>> probably don't need to worry, but it's helpful to check if they've been
>> reported and, if not, report them.
>>
>> You might be running into this one:
>> http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor/261.html
>>
>> Quick Googling turns up these resources:
>>
>> lock order reversals - what do they mean?:
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-December/016617.html
>> Glossary of Kernel Options for Debugging:
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-options.html
>> FreeBSD LOR(lock order reversal)s seen and comments:
>> http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor.html
>
> Based on what Ian says, I hope these BT don't continue. Those threads
> are very likely before the BBB was made...much less had freeBSD
> running, so hopefully some progress has been made with freeBSD.

Related to what Ian said (re: the LOR list not being actively maintained any more), for a while now I have been using this kernel config file with my Beaglebone Black:

include BEAGLEBONE
ident BEAGLEBONE-NO_WITNESS

nooption WITNESS
nooption WITNESS_SKIPSPIN

I did this when the stability of FreeBSD/arm was rather shaky (it's improved immensely, now), and I'd often confuse the LOR output for panics at first glance. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.