crash on writing usbstick

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 5 15:25:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-03-05 at 06:43 -0500, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> Greeting-
>
> So what more can I do to move along solving the problem of the USB
> write crashes?  Are there more tests anyone can suggest that would
> narrow things down for us?
>
> -Brett

I spent some time yesterday trying to reproduce this, and couldn't.  The
only usb thumb drive I have handy right now is 4gb, which isn't quite
big enough to hold the entire ports tree, but using your tar|tar
incantation it will run to the point where the destination filesystem is
full without any errors; I did that twice.

You didn't say what you were using as a source for the copy (sdcard,
nfs, etc).  I was using an nfs mount as source, which on BBB means that
usb is involved as both the source and destination.

Hmm, I just realized the ports tree I'm copying includes .svn, no wonder
it's so big.  I'll bet if I exclude that from the copy it'll run to
completion.

-- Ian