How to Xbuild to BBB?

Leonardo Fogel leonardofogel at yahoo.com.br
Sun Jul 19 13:37:55 UTC 2015

> Is there a way to update a running BBB system?

Hi.
I've built the kernel only. The instructions I know that work are:

$ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make buildenv         DESTDIR=<dir> KERNCONF=BEAGLEBONE TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6
$ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make kernel-toolchain DESTDIR=<dir> KERNCONF=BEAGLEBONE TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6
$ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make buildkernel      DESTDIR=<dir> KERNCONF=BEAGLEBONE TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6
$ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make installkernel    DESTDIR=<dir> KERNCONF=BEAGLEBONE TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=armv6

According to build(7):
     buildenv          Spawn an interactive shell with environment variables
                       set up for cross-building the system.  The target archi-
                       tecture needs to be specified with make(1) variables
                       TARGET_ARCH and TARGET.
     MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX  Defines the prefix for directory names in the tree of
                       built objects.  Defaults to /usr/obj if not defined.
                       This variable should only be set in the environment and
                       not via /etc/make.conf or the command line.

As I understanding it, the correct usage of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is:
$ env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=<dir> make ...

Hope it helps.

Leonardo