bsd.port.mk - cross compiling and target binary set

Michael Vale m.vale at live.com.au
Sun Jul 19 11:01:14 UTC 2015

Okay, I've done a lot more work on this patch.  It builds and installs build, lib and run depends, builds and installs the target port recursively.  The only problem is if a build/install process wishes to run an executable that has been built for the target.
The patch assumes you have a src tree in ${HOME}/src, a WRKDIR=${HOME}/work, TARGETDIR=${HOME}/root and OBJDIR=${HOME}/obj.  It also assumes you have built a target filesystem with freebsd-wifi-build or similar.
It will build and install as a user like so:
bmake TARGET_ARCH=mips BUILD_AS_USER= INSTALL_AS_USER= SRC_BASE=/home/masked/src install
Can anyone tell me or confirm if I don't set a target triple, and just a host triple, if the executables are compiled in a cross arch manner like the name cross-compiler implies?  that the binaries will execute on both the build machine and the host machine assuming configure --host=${AN_ARCH_OTHER_THAN_THE_BUILD_MACHINE}?
I doubt it, but it'd be nice if thats what's actually going on here.