More RPI-B/SD card information [was: Re: RPi won't boot 10.2-BETA1 -- SOLVED]

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 16 15:09:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 08:54:03AM -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
> Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 08:54:06PM -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
> >> I bought a new microSDHC card and that card works.  The new one is a
> >> 16GB SanDisk Ultra PLUS UHS-1 card in case anybody is keeping track.  I
> >> had tried two different Class 4 cards that didn't work, so maybe the
> >> faster speed is necessary now, or maybe it is picky about brands.
> >>

> > FWIW, I have a few class-10 cards that will absolutely not work, and
> > a few class-4 cards that work perfectly fine.
> >
> > After getting my test setup working properly (cards that work, etc.),
> > I looked into it a bit further, and it *seems* that all of my cards
> > (except one class-10 card) out of about 12 different SD cards work fine
> > with "normal data."
> >
> > Just an additional data point, although I realize it contradicts your
> > findings.
>
> Thanks, that is useful to know.  The first class-4 card worked with a
> January 10.1-STABLE snapshot, but didn't work with June 10.1-STABLE or
> 11.0-CURRENT snapshots or the 10.2-BETA1 release.

I did a bit more testing, and it seems the RPI-B is *very* picky about
what SD cards will work.  Below follows results of the tests, using the
20150716-r285616 RPI-B image (built last night, propagating now).

For completeness, I've included 'mmcinfo' output from u-boot, but what
is really interesting is cards (7) and (8).  To make sure the test was
run with a working card, I tested the BeagleBone Black image on card (7)
which booted fine.

 1) FAILED
 PNY class 4 SDHC 8GB
 U-Boot> mmcinfo