Raspberry Pi Videocore interfaces question - Raspberry Camera

Milan Obuch freebsd-arm at dino.sk
Thu Feb 19 06:47:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:46:27 -0800
Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo at bluezbox.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 18, 2015, at 3:12 PM, Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm at dino.sk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:20:20 +0100
> > Mikaël Urankar <mikael.urankar at gmail.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've made a port for raspberrypi-userland based on NetBSD one:
> >> http://mikael.urankar.free.fr/FreeBSD/raspberrypi-userland.shar
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was able to build and install this port with no trouble, but it
> > does not work for me. As I am interested now in camera, I tried
> > raspistill first, which gives me following
> >
> > assertion
> > failure:/usr/ports/misc/raspberrypi-userland/work/gonzoua-userland-11ffc75/interface/vmcs_host/vc_vchi_dispmanx.c:200:vc_vchi_dispmanx_init():success
> > == 0
> >
> > While it does clearly indicate where the error occurs, I have
> > absolutelly no idea now what could be wrong and how to fix it.
> > So if you think you know what I should try, please let me know.
> >
> > Just if it could be relevant - I used 11-CURRENT r278801, kernel is
> > stock RPI-B. In my /etc/src.conf I have following options set:
>
> I do not have device handy to test it right now but I’ll do it soon.
>
> For now could you try /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_dispmanx to check if
> it works?

Unfortunatelly I can't - I used Mikaël's port to compile the 'userland'
utilities and examples are not compiled and for some reason my attempt
to compile them failed. I'll investigate this if time permits.

> Also how much memory did you assign to GPU? I saw OpenGL ES
> stuff failing to initialized due to low GPU memory. May be it’s the
> case with camera too?

Yes, that's definitely the case. After some guesswork and testing I
found minimum GPU for camera is 128 MB. It is still not working, but
fails in other way.

raspistill -o test.jpg
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component
'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM) mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not
create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1) mmal: Failed to create camera
component mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not enabled in this build. Try running "sudo
raspi-config" and ensure that "camera" has been enabled

I have new board, the B+ one I will setup now, so I plan repeating
Raspbian setup I did already, just not with SD card but microSD, and I
will check what changes to videocore boot files in fat partition does
'sudo raspi-config'. Again, some time is necessary.

Thanks for all the help provided so far.

Regards,
Milan