Raspberry Pi Videocore interfaces question - Raspberry Camera

Oleksandr Tymoshenko gonzo at bluezbox.com
Mon Feb 16 09:06:54 UTC 2015

> On Feb 15, 2015, at 11:35 PM, Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm at dino.sk> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am currently doing a r276295 -> r278801 update on my Pi, I noticed
> there is now VCHIQ interface in sources. Do we have any example how
> this interface could be used?
>
> I would like to be able to use my raspberry camera under FreeBSD, but I
> did not find anything done, however. I am able to rebuild raspistill et
> al. from sources available at https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland
> under raspbian linux, and would like to be able to do something similar
> for FreeBSD.
>
> Also, there is python interface for this device available at
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/picamera-pure-python-interface-for-camera-module/
> and I am able to build this one on my favorite OS, but this is not yet
> a complete solution - both 'userland' C sources and picamera python
> scripts uses mmal interface, which seems like not being available yet
> for FreeBSD.
>
> My understanding is out VCHIQ interface was somehow ported from
> 'userland' git repository, so it should be doable to port mmal
> interface similarly, but as I have no idea how VCHIQ was done, I have
> no idea how mmal interface could be ported. Is here anyone who could
> help me with this task? Any pointers for more info about this?

Hi Milan,

There is FreeBSD port of “userland” repository mentioned above:
https://github.com/gonzoua/userland/tree/freebsd

I am not sure if mmal interface is working properly, but majority
of demoes from hello_pi package run just fine on FreeBSD.

You can build this repo is on RPi or install xdev tools and cross-compile it.