Digi CCWMX53

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 05:38:41 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am trying to build for a DIgi CCWMX53 and was actually able to get a
kernel to build (holy cow I did it!!!) but I have failed to get it to boot.
I'll outline my steps below but I am also seeking answers for the following
questions:

1) Can anyone give me the correct u-boot enviroment variables or reference
to the u-boot process to boot the completed freebsd kernel. Specifically on
a CCWMX53 if possible, but I have linux references to port from. Where
would I look for an example?

2) Do I need to create a cross compiler? Reference 1 says yes, reference
two says no. Help!

Ref.1 Build  a cross compiler
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/ArndaleBoard

Ref 2. No cross compiler/ make toolchain
https://wiki.freebsd.org/A_Brief_Guide_To_Cross_Compiling_FreeBSD

Okay this is my process. It is performed in a 9.1-RELEASE jail within a
PC-BSD 10 VM with 4 GB ram and 4 cores.

svn checkout https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/head /usr/src

cd /usr/src

make TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=arm -j10 buildworld

make TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=arm KERNCONF=DIGI-CCWMX53 buildkernel

# never got to this due to documented error in head release that I had.
make TARGET=arm TARGET_ARCH=arm installworld

Copy to sd card

#To Wipe Disk
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=512 count=1 && sync && sync

#u-boot image From CCWMX53 Starter Kit
sudo dd if=u-boot-ccwmx53js.bin of=/dev/da1 bs=512 && sync && sync

# lost the path from the build output that I got the kernel.bin file from.
I have since deleted that jail
sudo dd if=kernel.bin of=/dev/da1 bs=512 seek=2048 && sync && sync

Many thanks and this has been an awesome ride. A shout out to Ray whos
Raysblog got me started and Rui Paulo for starting the CCWMX53 port. My
ultimate goal is to also learn about Mer and create a BSD licensed phone OS
(PhoneBSD anyone?). I have a OnePlus I'm working to port to Sailfish right
now too.

Thanks,

Dinsdale