Raspberry Pi composite video problem

Eric Gunther egunther at warwick.net
Thu Nov 27 13:32:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

I posted to this list earlier this month and did not receive any input.
I have an old tv with composite input and outputs, I thought this would
be ideal for a low cost monitor for the RPi.  I have been experiencing a
problem in which the text is drawn past the bottom,top and sides.  I
have looked around quite a bit but cannot resolve the issue.

Changes to the overscan_left, overscan_right, etc. in /boot/config.txt
do not change the behavior.  framebuffer_height and framebuffer_width
settings do seem to change the behavior.  The tv itself has controls for
the picture and v-hold but no horizontal control.  The rear of the tv
has two set-screws which are labeled focus and screen (screen controls
the brightness).

I have seen mention of copying the firmware over, but have also seen
that it seems that this is unnecessary.  Unfortunately I have
encountered issues with cards that I plug back into this machine after
writing the image, so I cannot copy the firmware over.  I would use
putty or ssh, to log in and put that there but I have run into trouble
there as well.

I have enabled sshd, and set the hostname although I cannot seem to find
the RPi on the network while using Ethernet cable (Cat 5e)... This is
not surprising because I am novice with networking.  I have also tried
telnet, although I saw elsewhere on this list that one has to enable it.
I have not found the place to do that, I looked in loader.conf and
rc.conf.

SO, I cannot report dmesg, netstat or other output because I cannot ssh
into the machine.

I have the intention of running a simple boa webserver serving a
commercial portfolio website.

Thanks,

-