FreeBSD on Raspberry PI

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 16:32:15 UTC 2014

On Sunday 02 November 2014 1:39:47 PM Mario Sangiorgio wrote:
> Hello, I am considering installing FreeBSD on my Raspberry Pi to use it a a
> personal server.
>
> I read the documentation on the wiki but I still have some concerns.
>
> First, the wiki says:
> As of January 2013, FreeBSD-CURRENT fully supports either a video console
> (you'll need a USB keyboard and display connected) or it can be configured
> to use a serial console (you'll need a serial adapter cable such as the one
> sold by Adafruit.com).

I use hdmi with my three pi.

> Does it mean that by default the access via the serial adapter is not
> enabled by default and it needs to be configured in a special way?
>
> Second: I found links to a few unofficial packages repositories compatible
> with the Raspberry Pi. Is there any official (or a recommended) repository?
> I assume that compilation on the device would be quite slow, so I'd prefer
> to avoid it.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/arm/armv6/ISO-IMAGES/11.0

I am using version 11.0 with my Raspberry pi B models.

I have a B+ but I have failed to get it to boot using the current images.

> Third: does FreeBSD have any special command to update Raspberry PI
> firmware? Linux package managers have it and I am wondering if there is any
> FreeBSD equivalent or what is the procedure to update the firmware.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware

You have to do the update manually