FreeBSD 10 on Dockstar (Marvell Kirkwood)

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 5 19:51:37 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 14:40 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 17:59:14 +0000
> Markus Pfeiffer <markus.pfeiffer at morphism.de> wrote:
>
> > It does indeed work. I am a bit surprised that noone seems to be running
> > FreeBSD on a dockstar seriously enough to run into these problems.
>
> FWIW, my Dockstar still runs FreeBSD 8.2-stable from 2011, due to problems getting anything newer working on it[1].
>
> Another thing, how does one set up a build environment that doesn't clobber source builds on the host?
> The last time I did this, I just let the Kirkwood build clobber the files on the host and fixed it afterwards.
> Having a permanent build environment for Kirkwood would be much nicer.

A lot of folks use the freebsd-crochet script to create images for arm
systems.  I've never learned to use it myself (and I usualy don't want a
ready-to-flash image).

I generally have a dozen or so active development "sandboxes" for
different boards.  For each board/project I'm working on I create a
directory, and within it I have a script named "mk" and these
subdirectories:

  config/   nfsroot/  obj/  src/

In config I put a make.conf and src.conf (even if they're empty), and a
custom kernel config file if I'm not using one of the stock files.  The
src directory is a straight svn checkout of head or a stable branch or
whatever.  nfsroot is my default DESTDIR for installs; for development I
tend to use nfs root.

The mk script is attached.  It basically sets up the usual defaults for
whatever the sandbox is (kernel config name and such), then does a cd
into the src directory and fires up make with whatever args I put on the
command line.  I can just type "mk buildworld" or "mk installkernel" or
whatever and the mk script supplies the env vars and make options that
never change.  If I want to install to an sdcard or usb thumb drive
instead of nfsroot/ I can just format and mount it and "mk installworld
DESTDIR=/mnt".

-- Ian