FreeBSD 10.0 on Raspberry PI B+ no network devices

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Mon Aug 25 14:31:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 09:05:35AM -0400, Paul Mather wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2014, at 4:56 AM, Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got recently two Raspberries B+. I downloaded the file
> > FreeBSD-10.0-STABLE-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20140406-r264194.img.bz2 and copied
> > it to a memory card.
> >
> > I edited rc.conf to be able to use the Raspberries without keyboard.
> > The problem is now that no network comes up.
> >
> > ue0 simply does not exist.
> >
> > What do I do wrong here?
> >
> > It must be something simple I just do not see.
>
> You are likely not doing anything wrong.  As I understand it, the Model
> B+ uses a slightly different USB controller/revision to the Model B,
> and this might not be recognised/supported yet by FreeBSD.  The network
> is via USB on Raspberry Pi, so the USB support problem would cause the
> network not to work/be recognised.

Unfortunately I can't take a look at the broadcom, because it is piggy
packed with the RAM, so I can't tell about the host controller.
Would be good to know if the controller got probed or not.
Maybe I can do an image based test boot later today.

At least for the ethernet chip I can say that there are two different
devices used with the raspberry.
Old devices used the LAN9512 and newer the LAN9514.
Main difference is that the later has 4 external hub ports, but maybe
there are some errata differences as well.
However the LAN9514 already had been used with later B models.
At least my 512M RAM B and my B+ all have the LAN9514 and the older
256M has the LAN9512.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de