Driving WS2801 and similar LED controllers with BBB

Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas) madis555 at hot.ee
Thu Aug 14 17:20:09 UTC 2014

Hello.

Maybe someone else works on things like this? I basically know how those
are controlled, however I'm unsure what should I choose. Maybe SPI,
maybe I should bitbang GPIO for clock / data? Last should work with that
specific model (WS2801). Others use weird protocols (or "protocols"). I
guess I should just try something. I just let people know that I'm
working on that. I won't be surprised if I'm the first one to get it
working.

I'm also aware that this platform contains PRU's, which are maybe better
for this task. Though, that seems like even more complex task. Like how
to get code compiled for that (there seems to be one open way for C),
how to get it running there and how to
assign IO pins.