FreeBSD 10.0-ALPHA1 r255532 bootup freeze on BBB

Paul Mather pmather at vt.edu
Sun Sep 15 14:33:10 UTC 2013

On Sep 15, 2013, at 1:25 AM, Su Kang Yin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found that issue.
>
> It is because I disabled this options:
>
> #options        DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
> #options        INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
> #options        INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of
> internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
> #options        WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect
> deadlocks and cycles
> #options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on
> spinlocks for speed
> #options        DIAGNOSTIC
>
> Without them rootfs does not mount (kernel does not freeze, when I
> eject mmc, kernel shows "mmc0: detached")
>

> I use default kernel config and it works fine.

I can report that this also happened to me on BeagleBone Black with those debugging options removed.  The kernel would boot but would then stop when trying to mount the root file system.

Oddly enough, a kernel of the same revision (r255420) with those debugging options removed will boot to multi-user on Raspberry Pi.

Cheers,

Paul.