Trouble booting on Cubieboard 1 with ubldr

Martin Galvan omgalvan.86 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 16:59:35 UTC 2013

Hey everybody! I'm currently trying to get CURRENT to boot on a Cubieboard1
using a SD card with the booting files and a USB flash with the FreeBSD
filesystem. So far I've tried dd'ing sunxi-spl.bin and u-boot.bin to the SD
card, then copying ubldr to its FAT16 partition, powering on the board and
then doing:

sun4i#fatload mmc 0 0x48000000 ubldr

and

sun4i#bootelf 0x48000000

However, when I do that it gives me the following error:

Device:
net
ENET Speed is 100 Mbps - FULL duplex
connection
panic: uboot_eth0: empty ethernet
address!
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

After that I followed this tutorial:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Cubieboard

The last step says to load and run the kernel directly from the mmc, which
works fine and lets me boot. However, I understand u-boot shouldn't be able
run ELF files, which is why we use ubldr in the first place. I have an SD
card a friend made which has 2 partitions (one with the booting stuff and
the other with the filesystem), and that one can be used to boot with the
commands I first tried. Any ideas on why is this happening?