freebsd/pandaboard Spurious interrupt detected [0x000003ff]

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue Nov 5 02:22:41 UTC 2013

George Mitchell:
> On 11/03/13 21:19, David Cheney wrote:
>> Thanks Ian, try now.
>>
>> As a question to the group, I have the following hardware
>>
>> Pandaboard
>> BeagleBone Black
>> RPi
>>
>> And I am trying to bring up Freebsd/arm so I can get our Go builder
>> working again[1]. Of these candidates, which is the one you would
>> recommend ?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> [1] build.golang.org
>> [...]
>
> The RPi, please -- from a completely selfish point of view, since I have
> one on my desk that's waiting to be my CUPS print server.  From a less

Nothing should stop you from running the RPi with cupsd AFAIK.  I will
try to put the pkg on mirrors.nycbug.org in the near future.

> selfish viewpoint, its low cost is bound to attract a larger number of
> users.  (It already has sold 1.75 million units worldwide according to

Quantity in the wild is certainly a strong argument, especially with
those RPi numbers.

If stability is the goal, I would personally focus on the BeagleBones.

> some sources.)  But any work at all on FreeBSD/ARM is guaranteed to be
> beneficial to FreeBSD/s success going forward.  Unless ARM becomes a
> Tier 1 platform for FreeBSD, we will end up getting left even further
> behind in operating system uptake than we already are.      -- George

So on #bsdmips I asked the same question, and the plan for Tier I status
is 2014, but that the hold-ups are not significant.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/ARMTier1

For many of our sakes, there needs to be an official pkg repo.

I'm also imagining that the devs are jumping into rabbit holes right now
with the proliferation of boards.  I'm pretty sure even the local
bodega/corner store is putting out a board in the near future...

The one thing I feel strongly about, as a non-dev, is not just seeing it
Tier I for the sake of it.  There are plenty of operating systems that
do things quick and sloppy, and myself, among many others, use BSDs
since they do not consider development a race.

While I want to see the BSDs shine on ARM for a variety of reasons, I am
happy with that the pace reflects what I perceive as sane.

g (*another* george :)