sshd crash

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 1 17:53:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 01:44 +0800, Jia-Shiun Li wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > Several people investigated this (pretty extensively) and didn't come up
> > with a solution, or even a good suspect.  We haven't forgotten it by any
> > means, but I don't think anyone is knocking themselves out on it right
> > now either.
> >
> > A fresh look may be exactly what's needed, so feel free to dig into it.
> >
> > I'll summarize what I remember...  It happens on armv4 and armv6.  It
> > happens when kernel and world are built with clang or gcc.  It happens
> > with eabi and oabi.
> >
> > What I can't remember is whether anyone has bisected things down to a
> > changeset or timeframe when the problem showed up.
> >

> may I add: putty causes this to happen. mine 0.62. But ssh from another
> FreeBSD host has no problem.
>
> I suspect it to be some issues related to memory or malloc issues
> specific to bbb. 'tmux a -d' without existing detached sessions
> causes tmux client to core dump. But sshd and it are both fine on rpi.
>
> -Jia-Shiun.

This is the first I've heard of being able to ssh to an arm platform
that doesn't have PrivSep disabled, since about July or so.  I've never
heard a report yet that anything on the client side could make a
difference.

It's definitely not a beaglebone thing, it happens on every arm board
I've got... dreamplug, rpi, bbw, imx53, wandboard.

-- Ian