Wandboard support

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 1 13:58:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 20:17 -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> As of r257489 we now have some support for i.MX6 in general and
> Wandboard specifically.  There is much work to do, especially in the
> area of clock and power management and pinmux control, and someone other
> than me will have to look towards graphics and sound support (I have no
> skills in those areas).
>
> Things that work:
>
>       * Single core (even on the multicore boards).
>       * Boots to fully functional multi-user mode.
>       * Gigabit ethernet
>       * SD Card
>       * USB
>       * UART (serial console)
>
> I'm not sure what the state of SMP for ARM is in general.  I've been
> more focused on getting the major imx devices working first.  We're
> about to the point where it's time to give it a try I think.  :)
>
> I haven't tried using ubldr yet, I've just been directly booting the
> kernel via tftp, and nfs-mounting the root filesystem.  I have tested
> that the boards will boot from and run from sdcard just fine, and I
> expect the same would be true for USB drives, but I haven't tried that.
>
> The kernel is compiled to load at 0x12000000, which is NOT the default
> address in the board's u-boot config.  I set the kernel to a different
> address so that ubldr could load at the board's $loadaddr.
>
> -- Ian

I must have been pretty tired when I wrote that message last night,
because I forgot the most important paragraph. Better late than never...

Big thanks go to Jürgen Weiß, who provided me with a starter patchset a
couple months ago that was enough to get the Wandboard booted to
single-user mode, so I could concentrate on device drivers and general
i.MX infrastructure.  I'd still be struggling with this stuff without
that jumpstart.

-- Ian