signal 11 after kernel update r247742 -> r248706

René Ladan rene at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 28 15:50:17 UTC 2013

On 28-03-2013 16:30, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 15:52 +0100, René Ladan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> after updating the kernel on my Raspberry PI (config RPI-B with ums
>> added) from r247742 to r248706 a lot of programs (including the r247742
>> init) started to crash with signal 11. Manually copying files from
>> /usr/obj to the SD card (using another FreeBSD box) helped to get
>> userland back up and running, but now a lot of ports have similar
>> problems. For some binaries, copying the libraries was enough, other
>> binaries had to be copied themselves as well.
>>
>> Some questions:
>> - has anyone else experienced this (not necessarily on arm) ? I can try
>> to repeat this on a i386 VirtualBox host.
>> - the 20130304 entry in src/UPDATING about callout(9) looks a bit
>> suspicious?
>> - I have some kdump/core dump output available from python27 and pkgng
>> for analysis, if anyone wants to take a look?
>> - I could manually update pkgng and then portmaster -f all ports, but
>> this would take some time on the Pi.
>> - would a binary search through the revisions help here (I guess there
>> should be one where the r248706 init will not work) ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> René
> I'm at r248509 on my rpi and everything is good; maybe that'll help
> narrow the binary search.
Ok, I'll start looking from there.
> My kernel and userland are in sync at that revision.  You mentioned
> updating just the kernel, could there be an out of sync problem
> involved?
Actually, I built kernel + world on an i386 box (crossbuild), logged in
to the rpi, installed the kernel over NFS, rebooted, and then got a
failing init.
After copying over enough files manually I could do an installworld over
NFS.

'make xdev' might come in handy here I think, installworld (with some
fiddling) took over 2 hours :-/

René