signal 11 after kernel update r247742 -> r248706

René Ladan rene at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 28 14:52:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

after updating the kernel on my Raspberry PI (config RPI-B with ums
added) from r247742 to r248706 a lot of programs (including the r247742
init) started to crash with signal 11. Manually copying files from
/usr/obj to the SD card (using another FreeBSD box) helped to get
userland back up and running, but now a lot of ports have similar
problems. For some binaries, copying the libraries was enough, other
binaries had to be copied themselves as well.

Some questions:
- has anyone else experienced this (not necessarily on arm) ? I can try
to repeat this on a i386 VirtualBox host.
- the 20130304 entry in src/UPDATING about callout(9) looks a bit
suspicious?
- I have some kdump/core dump output available from python27 and pkgng
for analysis, if anyone wants to take a look?
- I could manually update pkgng and then portmaster -f all ports, but
this would take some time on the Pi.
- would a binary search through the revisions help here (I guess there
should be one where the r248706 init will not work) ?

Thanks,
René