RFC: "Crochet" build tool

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Mar 27 21:13:35 UTC 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On 26 March 2013 17:23, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>>> No, but none of them currently exist for non-x86 platforms, either.
>>
>> Except that they do. I've built arm images in the past.
>
> Do you have an example for using ARM + nanobsd?

In the past it has been as simple as just setting NANO_ARCH to arm. Mips required a hack that you set fdisk_mips to fdisk_i386 or something similar...

> One of the big changes I made for my build scripts is to separate out
> toolchain/userland building (which is done once for a given
> architecture) from kernel building (once per target) from image
> building (again, once per target.)
>
> It'd be nice if we could do something similar in -HEAD.

Yes. NanoBSD needs some work in this area... It currently assumes that you are building the image, not one of many related images, so it couples those things together...  Of course, it would help if the base supported the external toolchain better, but that should be close...

Warner