Raspberry Pi image and pkg_add, pkg etc

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 6 18:06:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:40:34PM -0500, Jad Cooper wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 10:56:47AM -0500, Jad Cooper wrote:
> >> Hi all thanks for taking the time to reply.
> >>
> >> Indeed the packages are all available for ARM.
> >
> > Not on the FreeBSD side, we do not provide any packages for arm, may that be
> > pkgng or the old pkg_install, where did you find any packages?
> I found the .txz files
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/arm/packages
> The file I use with pkgng is the repo.txz file in that directory -

Oh I forgot about those one, but they are very old and build on a 9.x box.

> >> When I delved into installing packages initially there were issues.
> >> These are specific to the rpi image.
> >>
> >> 1. The pkg_add works but wants to download packages from an armv6 dir that's not in the public repo.
> >> 2. Since pkgng is the new manager , trying to get it bootstrapped fails, so a manual build is necessary - downloading the txz and extracting it  leaves it missing several libraries.
> > To manually build pkgng the best is to use the ports tree which does everything
> > needed for you.
> >
> > How does it leaves missing libraries and what libraries, I do myself usr pkgng
> > on a pandoboard with no problem you mean you have done the whole thing by hand
> > (picking the sources and building?).
> >

> Yes I downloaded the source from github and built it using make etc

Meaning you are now running on the master code which can easily be broken
(branch release-1.0 for stable things)

> >> 3. Once pkgng is setup and working the location of the repo has to be set manually using the setenv packagesite
> > It can also be specified via pkg.conf but this is only useful if you have any
> > repository available somewhere to make binary only installation
> >

> I have the repo as above - the problem is that the pkg.conf file isn't in the image...

Nope because 1.0b16 is really old and buggy for pkgng

> >> 4. using pkgng I have to force install the packages.
> >
> > I don't get this one? can you give more details?
>
> When I do "pkg install curl" for example
>
> It resolves the package but when it tries to install it complains that the version is not correct, saying that the version is incorrect built for 9 but not 10the exact output I don't have - but
>
> "pkg install -f curl" works it just forces it to install - and curl then works

Sure you are trying to install package build on a FreeBSD 9 into a FreeBSD 10.
curl works just because you got some compatibility bit able to use FreeBSD 9
binaries but if one of the base library ABI has changed since 9 it would have
been broken

> >> Most of us are technical but to a hobbyist this is a bit complex, these are the tools, files/condos I'd like to repair so that the image is immediately useful for RPI.
> >>
> >> It's a great image already but I want to make it as simple as possible for students to get started with it.
> >>
> >> Do I need to download the image source as tweak the c and header files??
> >
> > Use the ports tree until we are able to create an arm build cluster, or use some
> > of the third party package repositories available out there (sorry I have no
> > link for arm, just know that it does exists :)
> >
> Isn't that FTP directory the ARM repo??

Somehow :), but I do not recommand to use it :)

> Maybe I'm missing some very fundamental FreeBSD insight but the FTP folders above contain the compressed binary packages for almost everything - even without pkgng or pkg_add I could install most using
> tar - zxvPf package.txz , granted I had a lot of missing dependencies but yeah the ARM bins are all there I thought...

Yes the pkgng format has been made that way, so if pkgng itself break a simple
tar xvpf can save you :)

regards,
Bapt