Raspberry Pi image and pkg_add, pkg etc

Jad Cooper jadcooper at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 15:57:02 UTC 2013

Hi all thanks for taking the time to reply.

Indeed the packages are all available for ARM.
When I delved into installing packages initially there were issues.
These are specific to the rpi image.

1. The pkg_add works but wants to download packages from an armv6 dir that's not in the public repo.
2. Since pkgng is the new manager , trying to get it bootstrapped fails, so a manual build is necessary - downloading the txz and extracting it  leaves it missing several libraries.
3. Once pkgng is setup and working the location of the repo has to be set manually using the setenv packagesite
4. using pkgng I have to force install the packages.

Most of us are technical but to a hobbyist this is a bit complex, these are the tools, files/condos I'd like to repair so that the image is immediately useful for RPI.

It's a great image already but I want to make it as simple as possible for students to get started with it.

Do I need to download the image source as tweak the c and header files??

Jad

On Mar 6, 2013, at 5:39 AM, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray at ddteam.net> wrote:

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 22:06:11 -0500
George Rosamond <george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/13 17:59, Ian Lepore wrote:
>> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 12:20 -0500, Jad Cooper wrote:
>>> Hi, I'd like to get involved in cleaning up/helping mature the
>>> Freebsd Rasperry Pi image. It's a fantastic platform but some
>>> things are broken especially the package manager as it seems to not
>>> correctly resolve the FTP repository, or incorrectly looks for tzb
>>> files or looks for a directory called ARMv6 when in fact the txz
>>> files are in the ARM folder.
>>>
>>> Please not this is my first such post so if the formatting or post
>>> is in the wrong list, I do apologize in advance.
>>>
>>> Jad
>>
>> I don't think I quite understand your question, which is not too
>> surprising since I know almost nothing about ports and packages.  I
>> do want to make sure you get a response from someone who knows about
>> these things; I've added one such person to the CC list.
>>
>> One thing that confuses me about your question is the reference to
>> the ftp repository... I don' think there are any arm packages being
>> built and distributed by the FreeBSD project right now.  Are you
>> trying to set up your own local repository, or connect to a private
>> one somewhere?
>
> I think my read on this is: there is no default PACKAGESITE set for
> pkgng in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf for the builds, which means pkgng
> doesn't work as it should, so Jad is offering to assist in resolving this.
>
> Cool, Jad.  And you're on the right list, and my MUA sees your email fine!
>
> So there is no official package or port repository yet for FreeBSD arm

Small correction: we have port repository for all platforms, only some
ports can't be built for ARM. Some ports are binary and can't be
installed due to lack of FreeBSD ARM distro.