ARM EABI test image

Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz
Sun Mar 3 02:22:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:16:22 -0700
Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2013, at 10:53 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 18:21 +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:

> >> Is this also interesing on the older SHEEVAPLUG?
> >> If yes, I can test it somewhere next week.
> >>
> >> Ronald.
> >
> > As I understand it, the plan is that eventually everything is EABI,
> > including the older armv4/5 stuff, so that needs testing too.
> >
> > You know what I haven't stumbled across yet is a simple explanation
> > of why EABI is better then OABI.  I tried to search for some info
> > the other day, but there are so many noise hits on the search I
> > didn't find a simple synopsis of differences or advantages.
>
> Alignment of structures is more like x86. This makes all the weird
> hacks we have in the tree to support the old ABI obsolete, and makes
> all the broken ones that we don't know about fixed.
>
> I'm sure there's a bunch more, but that's the main reason I want it :)

This, along with better toolchain and floating point support along
with better arm/thumb interoperability. I'm starting to look into using
the hard-float version of the ABI on armv6 and I would like to support
thumb mode in the future.

There are a number of third-party projects that only support EABI,
including Qt and maybe node.js.

Andrew