FreeBSD on Zedboard (Xilinx Zynq-7000) SD card image

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Fri Mar 1 01:00:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 04:37:10PM -0800, Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:
> On 2/28/2013 4:23 PM, Bernd Walter wrote:
> >>Yeah, that's what I meant by "interfacing" - ability to
> >>upload bitstream to FPGA directly from FreeBSD. Although
> >>I think ioctl interface seems more fool-proof than simple raw access
> >>to device.
> >Amazing.
> >I have a zedboard since a couple of weeks, but didn't find time to
> >boot FreeBSD yet.
> >Great to see that it is save to reload the FPGA from OS and no PL is
> >required for basic functionality.
> >

> Any suggestions where to get one? Do you know if AVNET the only
> non-academic
> source for them?

So far I didn't find any other source.
There is a german supplier (Trenz Electronic), which have a good bunch
of Digilent boards and add ons, but they only have the academic in
their webshop.
Maybe they sell it on request, got mine directly from AVNET USA.
European AVNET asked about twice the price.
But Trenz is also about to sell their own Zynq-7020 based board, which
looks like a promissing design.
And I participated at kickstarter project for the parallella board,
which I maybe get sometime this year - they use the PL to connect to
their own developed multicore (16 and 64-core with 1024 planned) chip.
So far they have shipped some devkits with zedboard and FMC card
containing their multicore chip to high price backers.
Wonder how the final prices for the Trenz and the parallella boards
will be - the kickstarter price for a parallella board was 99 USD.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de