Raspberry pi not ready to self-host yet?

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Tue Jun 25 04:51:24 UTC 2013

On Jun 24, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> You see the same compilation error in basic_string.tcc in various ports, like apr:

Now that's odd.  I built apr just a couple of weeks ago (part of
building subversion from ports) and it compiled okay on BeagleBone.

So this might be very recent breakage.

> I do appreciate that it's a heck of a lot easier to cross-compile for these things, and great work getting things to this point, but self-hosting is still one of  the magical milestones you always hope an embedded target will get to someday, assuming it actually has enough grunt to do so (and I think the PI does). :)

A few months back, I was able to self-host on the BeagleBone,
so our armv6 support was doing pretty well at that time.

I think that with the Clang and EABI switches, we've regressed
a bit since then.

Tim