Cortex A50 Series?

Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz
Sun Jun 2 12:16:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:57:47 -0600
Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On May 30, 2013, at 2:15 AM, Andrew Turner wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 29 May 2013 10:24:02 -0500
> > Matthew Alton <matthew.alton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, everybody.  Is there any work underway to port FreeBSD to the
> >> ARM Cortex A-50 series 64-bit CPUs?  I would like to help with
> >> this.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>

> > There is not support for AArch64 yet. I have started looking at it,
> > however this is still in the early stages as not all required
> > documentation was available from ARM, for example how to initialise
> > the MMU. I can figure out some of this from Linux but not the
> > meaning of some of the magic numbers they used.
>
> There's also a port being done by Semihalf that's under NDA with
> access to simulators and such until certain chips ship, I've been
> told.

Is anyone from Semihalf able to comment on this? If this is the case it
would be useful if the code could be made public as there is:
1. A Linux port
2. Support in llvm, gcc and binutils
3. A publicly available AArch64 simulator [1]

My understanding is various companies are working on designing silicon
with the 64-bit cores, it would be useful if we could have preliminary
support before they are released rather than waiting years, as happened
with armv6.

Andrew

[1]
http://www.arm.com/products/tools/models/fast-models/foundation-model.php