route(8) broken?

Tim Kientzle kientzle at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 28 21:26:25 UTC 2013

On Jul 28, 2013, at 12:06 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-07-28 at 12:00 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>> With r253514 on BeagleBone, I'm been consistently
>> seeing the following on every boot:
>>
>>   Waiting 30s for default route interface: …………………
>>
>> This seems to be because "route -n get default" is broken.
>>
>> For example, at the moment, I do in fact have a working default
>> route and network, but:
>>
>> # route -n get default
>> route to: 0.0.0.0
>> destination: 0.0.0.0
>> mask: 56.18.1.0
>> gateway: 192.168.2.1
>> fib: 0
>> flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC>
>> recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    mtu        weight    expire
>>       0         0         0         0      1500         1         0
>>
>> In particular, note the garbage mask and the lack of an
>> "interface" line.  (The missing "interface" line seems to
>> be the root cause of the "Waitiing…" message above.)
>>
>> I've started to trace this back but haven't yet gotten very far...
>>
>> Tim
>>

> Looks like the fix you need is in r253589.
>
> I'm running r253716 on my RPi and everything is good …

I'll try that.

> … except the jemalloc
> assert that sshd triggers (and I hear Jason is looking into that).

Diane started looking into it and made some progress,
Jason has given some clues (the assert in question is a debug
tripwire that fires when malloc is about to return memory to
a caller and notices that the memory is not zeroed, suggesting
a write-after-free error or some other kind of stray pointer issue).

Unrelated:  have you had any luck using native gdb?

I started to try to debug the route failure and gdb
is acting a little strange.  Everytime I hit 'n' it just
runs to completion, occasionally with complaints about
missing debug information.  (Yes, the binary in
question does have debug information and when
I set a breakpoint it will stop and show the related
source.)

I suspect it might be related to gdb not recognizing
the language:

   "Current language:  auto; currently minimal"

Tim