route(8) broken?

Tim Kientzle kientzle at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 28 19:00:17 UTC 2013

With r253514 on BeagleBone, I'm been consistently
seeing the following on every boot:

   Waiting 30s for default route interface: …………………

This seems to be because "route -n get default" is broken.

For example, at the moment, I do in fact have a working default
route and network, but:

# route -n get default
route to: 0.0.0.0
destination: 0.0.0.0
mask: 56.18.1.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1
fib: 0
flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC>
recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    mtu        weight    expire
       0         0         0         0      1500         1         0

In particular, note the garbage mask and the lack of an
"interface" line.  (The missing "interface" line seems to
be the root cause of the "Waitiing…" message above.)

I've started to trace this back but haven't yet gotten very far...

Tim