NFS root on BeagleBone Black

Douglas Beattie beattidp at ieee.org
Mon Jul 8 18:36:16 UTC 2013

On Jul 7, 2013, at 11:43 PM, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Douglas Beattie wrote this message on Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 23:06 -0600:
>>
>> options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as /, requires NFSCL
>> options         ROOTDEVNAME=\"nfs:192.168.0.198:/opt/tftpboot/beaglebone\"
>
> Do you have:
> options 	BOOTP
>
> in your kernel to give the interface an ip address?  I don't see
> anything in your dmesg about the kernel trying to get an ip address
> before it tries to nfs mount root.
>
> There isn't any communication from U-Boot to the kernel on what the ip
> address is suppose to be...  The kernel needs to rediscover it itself.

I tried enabling 'BOOTP' and related options at first, but reverted to
only 'NFS_ROOT', since I don't have a BOOTP service.

On 2013-07-07, at 10:43 PM, Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo at bluezbox.com> wrote:

> FWIW here is my kernel config for NFS root (my NFS server is -CURRENT):
> # NFS support
> options         NFSCL
> options         NFSLOCKD
>
> # Uncomment this for NFS root
> options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as /, requires NFSCL
> options         BOOTP_NFSROOT
> options         BOOTP_COMPAT
> options         BOOTP
> options         BOOTP_NFSV3
> options         BOOTP_WIRED_TO=cpsw0

Exactly as I had it in the first place, but it got stuck endlessly like this:

bootpc_init: wired to interface 'cpsw0'
Sending DHCP Discover packet from interface cpsw0 (c8:a0:30:c4:2c:6f)
cpsw0: link state changed to DOWN
cpsw0: link state changed to UP
DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255

Perhaps I can tell it explicitly where the DHCP server
is located? (of course it's the gateway, 192.168.0.1).

Thank you for the suggestions so far.
Incidentally, I purchased a BeagleBone Black in hopes of
working with and watching FreeBSD stabilize on it, and then
using it for the main DHCP server on my home LAN, possibly
also with BIND for LAN-local machine lookups.

--
Douglas Beattie
http://www.hytherion.com/beattidp/