Raspberry pi not ready to self-host yet?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jul 3 17:00:57 UTC 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 7:12 PM, Hubbard Jordan wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo at bluezbox.com> wrote:
>
>> It crashes due to INVARIANTS options in kernel config. I'm going to
>> look into this problem some time  next week unless someone beats me to it.
>> Just disable them for now.
>
> Yep, that did the trick!   I'm now able to build world / kernel for ARM on my MacBook Pro* and boot the result on the PI with no problems:
>
> FreeBSD pi 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #0 r252509M: Tue Jul  2 00:57:07 PDT 2013     jkh at whappy:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI-B  arm
>
> I even have NFS up and running on the PI since adding "options NFSD" to the RPI-B kernel.  Since there are no modules built for ARM (why is that?) that was kind of my only option.  Might be worth adding to the RPI-B configuration file until such time as that changes!

No reason. Historically, we've been on embedded platforms where you loaded the kernel and then needed no more modules after that. This has changed, obviously, but we've been slow to adapt.

> - Jordan
>
> * OK, to be more accurate, I actually have FreeBSD-current running under VMWare Fusion and the Mac's built-in SD card reader assigned to the VM, which lets me mount it and DESTDIR=/sd in order to install the world/kernel on the SD card.    Unfortunately, you can't set DESTDIR to an NFS mount because the attempts to set the immutable flags blow the build up. :)

Can't you set NO_FSCGH=t to get around this (hmmm, looks like an option that's slipped through the cracks of the WITH/WITHOUT change over).

Warner