Raspberry pi not ready to self-host yet?

Oleksandr Tymoshenko gonzo at bluezbox.com
Mon Jul 1 08:34:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-01, at 1:14 AM, Jordan Hubbard <jordan.hubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I managed to build and install an RPI-B kernel on the PI itself last night using gcc as the compiler, but it doesn't boot.  I get the dreaded "kernel boot args: (null)" and then a hang before even getting into the device probes.

It crashes due to INVARIANTS options in kernel config. I'm going to
look into this problem some time  next week unless someone beats me to it.
Just disable them for now.

The issue with empty console is  that if there is "device sc" in
kernel config syscons becomes default console. And if crash happens
before frame buffer driver is initialize no output from kernel appears
anywhere. Add set boot_multicons="YES" to /boot/loader.rc or remove
syscons-related stuff from kernel config.