Some ideas on Tim's script

Brett Wynkoop wynkoop at wynn.com
Wed Jan 30 17:56:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:39:15 -0700
Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Look in /var/run/dmesg.boot for this line:
>
>   mmcsd0: 1876MB <SD SU02G 8.0 SN 3406901 MFG 09/2010 by 48 SD>

Good tip, which my sleep deprived brain did not think of when I wrote
my reply!  Thanks for the reminder.

> That's the manufacturer info (SD = sandisk in this case).  The number
> (48, its base-10) is the manufacturer ID, which you can look up on
> websites when you don't recognize the initials.

This part I did not know and I find very cool!

> Better than ntpdate is to set ntpd_enable and ntpd_sync_on_start to
> YES.

I made a conscious choice to not run ntpd and instead run ntpdate out
of cron.  Why?  I wanted cron for other reasons anyway, so doing
ntpdate once an hour seemed lighter weight than running cron and ntpd
both all the time.  I might be wrong, but that was the thought process.

The discussions on this list seem to always exercise my brain!  It is
great interacting with all of you on these matters!

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep
and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against
tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson.